Monday, October 07, 2019

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies

October 6th to  12th, 2019
It was great spending time together again this week on The Island. I was very pleased to hear from several listeners who were able to enjoy last week's show via our Affiliate Stations of the Broadcast Partners Network. Although the live stream failed, the archive of the show survived in perfect condition. I received notes from listeners who heard the show from our affiliates including those in Illinois, New Zealand, England, and Sweden. Very cool. Now back to this week's show. I was so pleased to be able to adjust the playlist at the last minute to include a musical tribute to the late Ginger Baker, the innovative, yet at times combative drummer and co-founder of the first "supergroup", Cream.

Last week in the Chat Room I mentioned that I was trying to find a copy of a record that I played on radio in the early 1970s. I found a rather poor copy of it but still decided to play it. The song is called Saskatchewan Sunrise by Rick Jones. He's an artist I had never heard of before or since; but I really liked it for the vocals and strong horn arrangement. I was pleased to play it, "warts and all" for this week's Made In Canada feature. Sure wish I could get a clean copy of this great one hit wonder!

Speaking of the Chat Room, it was quite the gathering of the regular "Nuts in the Hut", as well as some great radio folks. Three of our Affiliate Stations joined us: Dr. Sandi from Budd Bay's KYA 101.9 FM Olympia, Washington; Tom and Darryl from WTND-LP 106.3 FM, Macomb, Illinois; and Shaun from Froggy Oldies 105.7 KFGV Thousand Oaks Venture County, California. In addition, Terry Nutt, former Program Director of CHOM-FM Montreal, and broadcast legend Dave Boxer, who I listened to at a teenager on CFCF in Montreal, were all having a good time. It was a lot of fun. I mention all this because I invite you to be part of a fun extra aspect of enjoying the show.  Every Sunday during the live show, the chat room is open. Go to the Chat page for more information. Hope to welcome you to the chat room next Sunday evening.

Next week we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving with many "thankful" songs; and as it is a feast, I'll also play some songs about food and drink during the show. We'll get underway at our usual time, 6 PM Pacific, 9 PM Eastern. Two weeks later, it'll be the 23rd annual Treasure Island Oldies Halloween Spooktacular! A scary time is guaranteed for all!

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Allan Holender in Kelowna, British Columbia. Alan is General Manager of our Affiliate Station, Okanagan Valley Radio, where we are heard every Sunday at 2 PM Pacific. Is your birthday coming up soon? If it is, I'd like to help you celebrate it on the show. Send the month and date to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice spotlights The Dovells. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Bristol Stomp or Bristol Twistin' Annie. I'll play the winner on next week's show.

This week the Top Five Countdown is from 1965. And the Number One song by The Beatles is most recorded song of all time, with over 1,600 versions! Yesterday is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Have a great week. See you next week for the Canadian Thanksgiving Special.

Bye for now.
Michael