Monday, April 22, 2019

Island Update Treasure Island Oldies Week of April 21st, 2019

April 21st to 27th, 2019
I hope you had a good long weekend celebrating or just getting together with friends and family. It was great getting together with you again this week for another show. This week the Spotlight Year was from 1971, including the Top Five Countdown. I've heard from many of you commenting how you are enjoying the weekly Spotlight Year with each week having a somewhat different flavour musically. 

I was pleased, during the Rock and Roll Reunion, to do a tribute to Danny and The Juniors, whose founding member Joe "Terry" Terranova, passed away April 15th at age 78. I bet you had not heard Dottie in a long time. It had been a Top 40 hit in 1958, but over time became overshadowed by their signature hit, At The Hop, and Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay. 

For a complete list of every song I played on the show this week, go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist. I was pleased to receive an email from listener Toni Howerton in Middletown, Ohio who asked me to play the rarely heard Jimmy's Girl by Johnny Tillotson from 1961. She told me she loves listening to the show every week on our Broadcast Partners Network Affiliate Station, WTND in Macomb, Illinois. Thanks very much Toni!

I was so glad to say so long to the frog in my throat that plagued my voice throughout last week's show. It was great to be back to abnormal! LOL Thanks very much for your comments and concerns.

Please be sure to mark your calendar for the May 5th show. It's the 22nd Anniversary of Treasure Island Oldies! Join me for the live show Sunday, May 5th. I am always amazed that the show has been ongoing with 50 new live shows every year since 1997. Incredibly, I still have many original listeners from those early years who continue to enjoy the show every week. Join me for the 22nd Anniversary celebration Sunday, May 5 beginning at 6 Pacific, 9 Eastern.

Is your birthday coming up soon? I'd like to help celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Voice Your Choice spotlights the Lovin' Spoonful on next week's show. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Darling Be Home Soon or Do You Believe In Magic. I'll play the winner on next week's show.

This week the Top Five Countdown is from 1971, this week's Spotlight Year. Joy To The World is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Have a good week.

Bye for now.
Michael