Monday, April 13, 2020

Island Update for the Week of April 12, 2020

Treasure Island Oldies is LIVE Monday to Friday with a one hour show at 11 am Pacific, 1 pm Central, 2 pm Eastern, 3 pm Atlantic.

I hope you had a nice Easter for those who celebrate. I enjoyed bringing you the One Hit Wonders special again this year. The cool thing that there are so many one hit wonders, that the playlist is never the same year after year. I find it so interesting to hear big hits like Shout! Shout! Knock Yourself Out, Party Lights, When I Die, or so many others, knowing it was the only hit the artist or group ever had. It's a wonder, a one hit wonder.


I'd like to say hello and a big welcome to WQNA, Springfield, Illinois, the latest station to become an affiliate of the Broadcast Partners Network. It's been another growth spurt for the show with the recent additions of Seabird Radio in the U.K. and WKNRkeener13.com to the ever-growing list of affiliate stations. By the way, WQNA will be simulcasting both the weekly Sunday night show and the daily weekday show. For the daily show, we are continuing with the Top 100 Countdown of the 1970s.

I've very much been enjoying your emails and facebook comments and messages, thanks very much. What gets to me is the common thread listeners are telling me. They are thanking me for providing the show on a daily basis, as it sure helps draw their attention away from the news, etc. I've heard from several listeners who are in fact, alone in their home and my show is like having a visit with a friends who brings along great music! Thank you all. Please feel free to drop a note to me at daily@treasureislandoldies.com.

The Chat Room has also seen an increase of folks dropping by to say hi, both during the weekly show as well as the daily shows. Click the Chat tab to for login instructions. And not only has the traffic in the chat room increased, so too has the demand for a live stream for all shows. If your player starts to buffer, please be patient and let it rebuild the stream. I'm flattered by the extra demand, but it's putting a bit of a strain on the live stream network servers.

Be sure to listen next week for the annual One Hit Wonders Special. Some folks call it the "I can't believe they only ever had one hit special". Every song you'll hear will be by an artist or group that reached the Top 100 chart once, but never again. It's a fun playlist of really well known songs but the common link is they all only had one hit.

Happy Birthday wishes go out this week to Sandy Kinsey in Thousand Oaks, California. Sandy is the mother of the owner of station affiliate Oldies 105.7 Thousand Oaks, CA. I'd also like to wish Happy Birthday to Grace, the niece of listen Toni Howerton in Middletown, Ohio. If your birthday is coming up soon, I'd like to help you celebrate your birthday with all the show's listeners. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice spotlights The Five Americans. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Zip Code or I See The Light. I'll play the winner on next week's show.

The Top Five Countdown is from 1967. The number one song is by father and daughter, Frank and Nancy Sinatra. Somethin' Stupid is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Don't forget to listen to the Daily Show at 11 am Pacific , 2 pm Eastern and the four hour show Live next Sunday.

Take care, stay safe and stay well!

Bye for now.
Michael