Wednesday, September 19, 2007

He Man Power Sword TV Commercial

Many years ago I went to an audition in Vancouver for an upcoming TV commercial. The usual voice talent was present, a few of them curious as to why I was there for the audition. At that time I was not on the air, but heavily involved in my artist management business. At any rate, it came time for my audition in the studio and I did my reading. The copy of what was given to me to read was not the actual commercial; nobody knew who the client was.

Nothing happened until nearly a couple of months later when I received a call from Ogilvy & Mather in Los Angeles confirming I had been at the audition and asking if I was still interested in doing the commercial. Naturally, I said yes and of course. I was then informed they had done auditions in Los Angeles, Chicago and Vancouver for what I was then told was for upcoming Mattell toy TV commercials. And they picked me do be the voice for the spots.

So a short while later, I went into Blue Wave Studios here in Vancouver and a producer from Ogilvy & Mather flew up from Los Angeles to oversee the sessions. The results were two different spots: The He Man Power Sword and The Skeletor Skull Staff.

I got paid and never heard about them again until last night! Treasure Island Oldies listener Fred Waterer was visiting Wings America Radio in Atlanta, Georgia as that station has just started carrying our show every Monday at 1 p.m. Eastern Time. Fred was reading my bio on their site and noticed the mention of the Mattell TV commercials.

He decided to check out YouTube, and lo and behold, someone posted The He Man Power Sword. Fred sent an email to me last night letting me know. It was the FIRST TIME I had ever seen the spot! Thank you, Fred.

I just had to share it with you.
Michael