Tuesday, October 05, 2010

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies


October 3rd, 2010 to October 9th, 2010

When I decided to talk about a new book just released, "Top 100 Canadian Singles" by Bob Mersereau, I had no idea that it would cause a lot of talk in the Chat Room, let alone comments at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog, where I listed the complete 100 songs. Facebook even got into the picture with several comments posted by listeners. The thing with any "best of" list is there are as many opinions as which songs belong, should be higher or lower, or songs that should be added to the list or removed completely. It's all very subjective. Nonetheless, I am very pleased with the response; keep it up. I did enjoy playing the Top 10 songs from the list throughout the show. Incidentally the book is published by Goose Lane and is available from Amazon.com and other online retailers.

I was very surprised to have an old classmate from my high school in Montreal stop by the Chat Room this week. It was a "blast from the past" to re-connect with Peter Melanson and I hope he comes back again soon and becomes a regular Nut in the Hut. I invite you too to come by for a visit during the live show Sunday nights from 6 to 10 p.m. Pacific Time. Click Chat on the menu and follow the instructions. Looking forward to welcoming you.

Next week on the show it will be our Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Special. It's always a treat for me to get a head start on "turkey season", as turkey is my favourite meal - period. The good thing is you won't have to put up with me eating turkey dinner on the show; I'll just play some great music for you and a few songs with a thank you theme scattered throughout the show.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the #1 Song from the Top 100 Canadian Singles book by Bob Mersereau. I find it quite ironic that the top Canadian single is called American Woman. LOL Be that as it may, here are The Guess Who with American Woman. It's our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

In celebration of John Lennon's birthday October 9th, I am pleased to present one of the Fab Four on Voice Your Choice this week. Would you prefer to hear Instant Karma! or Mind Games? Cast you vote at the Voice Your Choice page and make your selection. I'll play the winning song on next week's show during the 3rd hour.

You can download the weekly Rock & Roll News as a Podcast? It's easy; go to iTunes and search for Treasure Island Oldies Rock & Roll News. There are now over 12,000 downloads of the Podcast every month! You can also listen to the Top 5 Countdown at any time, when you only have time to listen to a few songs. Go to the Listen page and click Top 5 Countdown.

The Listener Gallery has is ready to hang your photos. Send in your picture, name, city and province or state to michael@treasureislandoldies.com and our webmaster, Eddy Fisher, will post it on the Listener Gallery page.

I hope you have a great week and see you next Sunday for the live show.

Bye for now.

Michael