Monday, July 02, 2012

This week on Treasure Island Oldies


July 1st, 2012 to July 7th, 2012

O Canada! What a great time on this week's Made In Canada Special, the annual tribute to the artists and songwriters of Canada. Thanks very much for your many requests. While I was unable to play them all, I'll do my best to play them over the next several shows. There are just so many great records that were recorded by Canadians and I am very proud to play some of them for you on our annual special. And mark your calendar for our next special, the week of July 22nd, our Technicolor Special, with every song having a colour in the song title. It'll be a very bright special, so be sure to bring your sunglasses!

The Chat Room was very busy again this week and it was great to welcome some old friends, along with welcoming new ones. I invite you to try the chat room during the live show every Sunday from 6 to 10 pm Pacific time. The camaraderie among the Nuts in the Hut and the various discussions that take place, make it a fun place to spend time while listening to the show. Come to the Chat Room and follow the instructions. See you next week in the Chat Room.

If you have a birthday coming up, be sure to let me know. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com and I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and play Birthday, our official birthday song by The Beatles, for you.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing Gino Vannelli. I first got to know Gino, who like me is from Montreal, when I worked at CFCF Radio. I got to know him and his brothers Joe and Ross. When he released his second album, Powerful People, I heard a song on the album called People Gotta Move. I added the song to the playlist at CFCF as if it were an actual single. The response was so good and the demand for it as a 45 at the record stores was such that A&M Records released it as a single and it became a Top Twenty hit in Canada and the United States. I was presented with a Gold Record by A&M, my first ever award. This week in keeping with our Made In Canada Special, we're playing Gino Vannelli and People Gotta Move, in a live concert performance. It's our Song Of The Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice presents the early days of Rock & Roll with Bill Haley And His Comets, with two of their many hits. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either See You Later, Alligator or Burn That Candle. I'll play the winning song in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

I know that in many parts of North America the temperatures are soaring. I invite you to the Archive page of Treasure Island Oldies, where you can listen to some very cool hits. And conversely, if you are finding it cool where you live, warm up with some hot tunes.

Here is this week's Rock & Roll News for the Week of July 1st, 2012


And here's this week's Top 5 Countdown:



Enjoy the show while you're on the go this summer with your iPhone, or other smartphone, and the Tune In Radio app. You can listen to the Latest Show, the Rock & Roll News Podcasts, and the Live Show as well. Just be sure that to do a search for the live show, it will have to have started in order for the show title to appear in the live stations results. Get more out of your iPhone or other smartphone with the Tune In Radio app, available at the iTunes Store.

Show the world you're a proud Islander!  Send your photo and we'll post it to the Treasure Island Oldies Listener Gallery. Send it to listenergallery@treasureislandoldies.com

Hope you have a great week. See you on next week's show.

Bye for now.

Michael