Monday, March 24, 2014

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of March 23rd, 2014

March 23rd, 2014 to March 29th, 2014

It seems I surprised a lot of listeners with the “Spontaneous Special” on this week’s show, Sweet Soul Music. As I was getting ready to prepare this week’s show, I started listening to some great R&B/soul music songs and thought HEY! The whole show should be all this great soul music. And wow to hear those great songs all in one four hour show! I’m glad you enjoyed it and in case you missed the Live show, be sure to listen to the Archive via the Listen page. For a snapshot of the songs, you can check out the Playlist too.

Our next official special will be the annual One Hit Wonders Live Sunday, April 6th and of course after on the Archives. If there’s a One Hit Wonder by an artist or group who only appeared on the charts once that you’d like me to play, let me know. Call the Treasure Island Oldies Listener Line at 206-339-0709 or Click Requests on any page of the website.

I was pleased to meet Bill Holmes Sr. at my facebook page. Bill was the drummer for Ronnie Dove for years. They toured for 2 to 3 months at a time, a hectic schedule for sure. I invited him to listen to the show and to stop by the Chat Room for a visit, knowing the others would be pleased to welcome him and get to know more about him and Ronnie Dove. It was a very nice visit and he told me that he’d definitely come back again as he thought the folks in the chat room were “regular guys” and very friendly. Now isn’t that a nice endorsement! You too should consider coming by for a visit during the Live show every Sunday from 6 to 10 pm Pacific time. Just Click Chat on any page of the website and follow the easy instructions. The Nuts in the Hut, the Chat Room Regulars, look forward to saying hi and getting to know you. You’ll be surprised with the variety of cities where everyone lives.

I have dedicated the show this week to the memory of Malcolm Charlton from QCCR-FM in Liverpool, Nova Scotia, one of our Broadcast Partners Network stations. Malcolm passed away after succumbing to cancer. While at different times, we worked at CFQR-FM in Montreal, my first radio station. Malcolm was also responsible for inviting me to have Treasure Island Oldies air on QCCR-FM, for which I am very grateful. My sincere condolences to his daughter Phaedra, his wife and family members. Also my thoughts go out to the staff at QCCR-FM and the listeners. Thank you, Malcolm. R.I.P.

Happy Birthday wishes go out this week to Rich Howe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and to my long-time friend, creator and writer of the weekly Moment In Time feature, Tom Locke in Vancouver, British Columbia. If you have a birthday approaching, be sure to let me know so that I can wish you Happy Birthday on the air and play Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.
 
The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is also playing some Sweet Soul Music, in conjunction with our Spontaneous Special this week on the show. In fact, it’s the song that started off the show this week: Arthur Conley and Sweet Soul Music. It’s our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice features Sir Cliff Richard, who was bigger in England than Elvis Presley! Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Living Doll or Devil Woman. I’ll play the winning song in the 3rd hour of next week’s show.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of March 23rd.



Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1963.


http://www.tioradio.com/multimedia/top_5.ram


Hope you have a good week.

Bye for now.

Michael