Monday, April 21, 2014

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of April 20th, 2014


April 20th, 2014 to April 26th, 2014

Happy Easter, Happy Passover, Happy Vaisakhi, Happy Spring! I hope you are enjoying the beginning of Spring where you live. All the flowers and trees are in bloom in Vancouver here on the West Coast and it sure is beautiful. It’s a great time of the year. And it was a great time again this week on Treasure Island Oldies. It was fun to recognize Record Store Day, as vinyl is now “in”. As I mentioned on the show, I saw an ad on TV the other day for Grand Marnier Liqueur that showed an upscale party going on and the glue that held the event together was the music playing from vinyl on the turntable. Very cool. And I really enjoyed digging out a vinyl record from the 1950s that was an in-store demonstration record for a line of budget records by Coronet Records. I played two ads each hour and the feedback from the chat room was ‘where can I get an orthophonic album for $1.49!’ What good fun. I’ve had that record since I was a kid and finally found a way to incorporate it into the show; and what a great fit it was for Record Store Day.

I’d like to remind you to be sure to join me for the 17th Anniversary of Treasure Island Oldies, coming up Live, Sunday, May 4th from 6 to 10 pm, Pacific. If you’d like to call the Listener Line at 206-339-0709 to record you Anniversary greeting, that would be great. Alternatively, you can also email a note to me at michael@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll do my best to play back as many of your messages and notes as I possibly can during the show.

If you have a birthday coming up soon, please be sure to let me know. I’d love to wish you Happy Birthday on the show on behalf of all the listeners around the world and play Birthday by The Beatles for you as well. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing a great live performance by The Doors with Light My Fire. It’s our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice spotlights “Mr. Entertainment”, Jackie Wilson. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Lonely Teardrops or Whispers (Getting’Louder). I’ll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week’s show.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of April 20th.




Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1961.


http://www.tioradio.com/multimedia/top_5.ram


Well that’s about it for this week. Take care and be sure to listen to the Live show next Sunday beginning at 6 pm Pacific time.

Until then, bye for now.

Michael