Monday, October 20, 2014

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of October 19th, 2014


October 19th, 2014 to October 25th, 2014

Another week and another 4 hours flew by faster than a spinning 78! Maybe when I retire I’ll be able to do the show more frequently. However, I have no idea if or when I will retire, so the once a week show is it for now. LOL I very much enjoy your comments via email Facebook and in the chat room, where a group of listeners gather every week to share the four hours together and memories the music brings to everyone. If you’ve never experienced the Chat Room, give it a try any Sunday during the live show. Just click the Chat tab on any page of the website and follow the simple directions. I’d love to welcome you as one of the Nuts in the Hut.

I had a great time at lunch this past Friday. I brought together two legends of broadcasting in Canada, Red Robinson and Dave Boxer. They both have had parallel careers on air in Vancouver (CKWX for Red) and Montreal (CFCF for Dave), massive fan followings, and they both introduced The Beatles onstage in 1964. While they knew of each other and each one’s impressive career and reputation, they had never met. That was resolved when I arranged for the three of us to have a real Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich at an all-time classic deli, Dunn’s Famous Deli. The Vancouver Dunn’s  location is the only one outside Montreal, and it is true to form. While the three of us enjoyed “essential Montreal food”, they told great stores and discovered they had both worked with and for the same general manager and other on air personalities. What a treat it was to have my two friends meets for the first time. And it won’t be the last time either!

I’d like to thank you for the warm birthday wishes, as I celebrate my birthday this week. And if you have a birthday coming up soon, please let me know. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.  I’ll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Be sure to listen to the show next week for the 18th Annual Halloween Spooktacular with chills and thrills for all you freaks and ghouls. The excitement begins at 6 pm Pacific, 1 am Universal. You’ll really dig it! And of course, you’ll be able to listen to the Archive up to and including Halloween night. And also a reminder that the following week we “Turn Back The Hands Of Time”, as many places switch back the clock by one hour. I’ll recognize that change in time with some very “timely tunes” on the show, Live Sunday, November 2nd.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the antidote to the hippie influx of 1967, at least according to MGM Records, the label that signed them. Here are Every Mother’s Son with Come On Down To My Boat. It’s our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Please note that there will not be our regular Voice Your Choice next week on the show due to the Halloween Spooktacular. Voice Your Choice returns the following week when we spotlight young teenage TV star, Ricky Nelson. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either A Teenager’s Romance or Lonesome Town. I’ll play the winner in the 3rd hour of the November 2nd Live show.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of October 19th.



Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1960

http://www.treasureislandoldies.com/assets/multimedia/top_5.ram


That’s it that’s all for this week. A reminder to listen to next week’s 18th Annual Halloween Spooktacular – IF YOU DARE!

Bye for now.