Monday, April 20, 2015

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of April 19th, 2015


April 19th, 2015 to April 25th, 2015

It’s sure busy here on the Island. Next week I will announce the April winner in our year-long 18th Anniversary Contest. You still have time to enter to be eligible for the draw this coming Sunday, April 26th. It’s easy to enter. Just click the Celebrate 18 logo for the details.

In two weeks we’ll be celebrating the actual 18th Anniversary of Treasure Island Oldies on Sunday, May 3rd. I sure hope you can join in on the fun. I am also very excited to let you know that we will be launching a brand new website in conjunction with the 18th Anniversary special. Our Webmaster, Eddy Fisher, is working furiously at getting all the final details completed in time for the launch. There will be a brand new look to the website and I am excited to share the new website with you as of Sunday, May 3rd. This will be the first new website since 2006!

A quick note to remind you that if your birthday is coming up soon, I’d to recognize your special day by wishing you Happy Birthday and playing Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send your birthday details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com

I had the pleasure of attending the semi-annual RPM lunch that Red Robinson and I started many years ago. It came about when many broadcasting who were attending a memorial service for the late Rick Honey commented on how sad it is we only see each other at funerals. So Red and I decided to arrange a lunch twice a year and it was very well attended. In the past few years, it started back up and the latest get together featured a tribute to Vancouver broadcast legend Fred Latremouille, who had passed away a few weeks earlier. As this was going to be the only celebration for Fred, the attendance was way beyond expectations and the highest attendance yet. It was wonderful to hear the great tributes delivered by close friends and colleagues. I love attending these lunches as it is a great chance to see old friends.
I was so pleased to sit beside my long time broadcast colleague and friend Dale Buote, who sadly is no longer in radio but doing very well in his new career with an architectural firm.

Speaking of tributes, it was my pleasure to pay tribute to the late Percy Sledge on this week’s show by playing many of Percy’s beautiful soulful hits. When I played his hit version of Elvis’s Love Me Tender, the response was terrific. While it was a Top 40 hit for him, it is rarely every heard these days. R.I.P. Percy Sledge and thank you for the great gift you gave to us of your music and voice.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is also playing tribute to Percy Sledge with his live performance of When A Man Loves A Woman. It’s our Song of the Week.

Voice Your Choice presents Fats Domino with just two of his many hits. Cast Your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either I’m Walkin’ or My Blue Heaven. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of April 19th



Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1962

http://www.treasureislandoldies.com/assets/multimedia/top_5.ram


That’s about all for this week. Just a last reminder to enter the 18th Anniversary contest and I will announce the April winner on next week’s show. Maybe it will be you!

Bye for now.

Michael