Monday, June 01, 2015

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of May 31st, 2015 to June 6th, 2015

May 31st, 2015 to June 6th, 2015
I'm glad that the new studio configuration was completed in time for this week's show. It was a whirlwind of activity getting everything organized, but we did it. There are still a few technical issues to resolve, but overall, I'm pleased with how this week's show turned out from a technical point of view.

I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the passing of a long time friend of mine, Joe Summers. Joe was Senior Vice-President of A&M Canada overseeing the Marketing department when Gerry Lacoursiere, the President, hired me in 1975 to run the A&R Department (Artiste and Repertoire.)During my almost eleven years, the entire A&M Canada Family became a very close knit group of friends. About a year and a half ago I went to Toronto to visit my son David who was attending University to get his Masters Degree. When word got out that I was going to be in Toronto, an A&M Canada Reunion was immediately planned in my honour and the event was hosted at Joe and his wife Gloria's beautiful heritage farm home just outside Toronto. I will never forget that evening and it became the last time that we would all get together. I am sad over the loss of Joe for Gloria, their children and grandchildren; but I'm also sad for all of us within the A&M Family. Joe is a huge loss for all of us.

I'd like to congratulate Rick Canode in Madison, Wisconsin, the May winner in the Treasure Island Oldies 18th Anniversary Contest. Rick chose the Model Car Science Collage as his poster prize from TNJ Poster Creations. There will still be more winners, one every month until the end of the year.  Enter the contest now. If you don't enter, you can't win. Click the Contest ad on the left side.
Gee did I ever get great response after I played Do You Wanna Rock, the brand new song by Peter Rivera, the original lead singer and drummer with Rare Earth. For those of you who asked, his new album is titled It Is What It Is, and I understand it is available via iTunes. I'm always pleased to help you discover something new by a classic heritage artist!

Congratulations go out to long time listener, Bruce Toews in Winnipeg, Manitoba, who dropped by the Chat Room during the live show Sunday to tell me and the regulars in the chat room that he and his longtime girlfriend, Carolyn Congdon are officially engaged and will be married May 14, 2016. Congratulations Bruce and Carolyn!

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Paul Carter, Jr. in Ellicott City, Maryland. If your birthday is coming up soon, please let me know so that the listeners and I can celebrate your special day. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com 

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing a great California group from the '60s. It's the Turtles with She'd Rather Be With Me and it's our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice presents Dionne Warwick with two of her many hits for your votes. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Do You Know The Way To San Jose or Walk On By. I'll play the winner during next week's show. 

Be sure to listen to this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast for the week of May 31st.

And check out this week's Top 5 Countdown from 1962.

Take care and have a great week.

Bye for now.
Michael