Monday, July 06, 2015

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of July 5th, 2015

July 5th, 2015 to July 12th, 2015
Every year I very much look forward to bringing you the Music of Canada Special. I am very proud of the artists, groups, songwriters, producers, background singers and recording studios in Canada and how they have had an impact on the music world in general. Having spent a good part of my career in radio and then the record business, I love showcasing some of these artists for you. I also really enjoyed highlighting some of the artists I signed to A&M Records when I was Vice-President of A&R (Artist and Repertoire). On this year’s special I played Malcolm Tomlinson, my first artist signing. His debut single, Knockin’ My Head, was produced by Jack Richardson (The Guess Who, Bob Seger and others). It was also my pleasure to play my most successful artist, Bryan Adams and his summer smash, Summer of ’69, The Payolas with their classic hit, Eyes Of A Stranger, The Arrows with the rousing Heart Of The City, and an artist I signed to A&M and then left in order to become his manager, Paul Janz. Every Little Tear became a big hit in Canada and the US. It was also special for me to play Chilliwack (Fly At Night) with lead singer and songwriter, my friend Bill Henderson. Bill just received the highly prestigious Order Of Canada medal for all his contributions to Canadian music ! Congratulations. If you missed the Live show, be sure to listen to the Archive at the Listen page. You may not be familiar with every song, but rest assured they were all very noted and successful records in Canada, and in many cases, around the world.

A quick reminder for your calendar. The next special will be the Technicolor Special July 19th. It promises to be a very colourful show!  It all begins at 6 pm Pacific time. If there’s a specific song you’d like me to play, be sure to let me know. Click on the Requests button or call the Listener Line to record your request message at 206-339-0709. I’ve already heard from some listeners with their requests and I’m looking forward to playing them on the show next week.

Be sure to enter the 18th Anniversary Contest. Like Rich Clarke in Stillwell, Oklahoma, the June winner of the Treasure Island Oldies 18th Anniversary Contest, your name could be drawn as the winner for July. Click the 18th Anniversary Contest logo to enter the contest. Good Luck!

Happy Birthday wishes go out this week to Bobbi Gutman in Richmond, British Columbia. As well, I’d like to wish my son, David Godin, a very Happy 33rd Birthday. If your birthday is coming up soon, please let me know so that the listeners and I can celebrate your special day. I’ll wish you a very happy birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com 

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is continuing with our Music Of Canada Special theme with a song that is often requested. From Montreal, it’s Pagliaro with a live performance of Lovin’ You Ain’t Easy. It’s our Song of the week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice presents the internationally known and loved Anne Murray. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either You Needed Me or Danny’s Song. I’ll play the winner during next week’s show.

Be sure to listen to this week’s Rock and Roll News Podcast for the week of June 5th. Click the Podcast link on the left. 

And check out this week’s Top 5 Countdown from 1966. Just click the Top 5 Countdown Link.  

Take care and see you next week for another four hours of the best Oldies!

Bye for now.

Michael