Monday, February 11, 2019

Treasure Island Oldies Weekly Update - Week of February 10th, 2019

February 10th to February 16th, 2019

Happy Valentine's Day! Thanks for joining me for this week's annual Valentine's Day Special. It was a four hour love fest!!! The emails were flowing in, the Facebook comments on my page were many, and the Chat Room was very busy once again this week. I wanted to be sure that you know if you miss the Live show, you can hear it at various times and days via the Treasure Island Oldies Broadcast Partners Network of FM, AM and Online radio stations around the world. Go to the Broadcast Partners Network page where you will find a program grid with the days and times plus links to the Affiliate Stations to hear this week's show.

The next special for you to note on your calendar is the annual Name Game Special, coming to you March 17th. Every song will have the name of a person in the song title. So if your name is Barbara, Billy, Diane, Michael, or John as examples, you'll hear a song named for you. And of course, I'll start off the show with Shirley Ellis and her huge hit and the inspiration for the special, The Name Game.

I wanted to send out my sincere condolences on the passing of my friend and fellow broadcaster, Mike Cleaver. Mike was a seasoned broadcaster and for many years, was a key newsman at 1050 CHUM in Toronto.We became friends after his move to Vancouver and would visit together twice a year at the RPM Luncheons that Red Robinson (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame DJ) and I started many years ago. It's become a great event to visit with fellow on air broadcasters, many of whom either retired or were "displaced" from the air. Mike was a strong supporter of yours truly and my show. Every week, including this past week, he shared my Facebook posts with his own network of friends and colleagues. He'd had some severe health issues recently, but was seemingly well on the mend once again. Mike was 72. My sincere condolences to Mike's partner, Terry.

I'd like to wish a Happy Birthday to long time listener, Guylaine Côté, in Quebec City, Quebec. As a young girl, she used to listen to me when was I was a DJ and Music Director at CFOM in Quebec City. So long time listener indeed. Is your birthday coming up soon? If it is, be sure to let me know. I'd like to help celebrate your birthday too by wishing you Happy Birthday on the air and playing Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'd also like to wish Happy Anniversary to long time listeners and good friends Fay Greenwood and Matt Meaney on the celebration of their 13th Anniversary. Well done, you two!

Voice Your Choice spotlights the Bobby Fuller Four. Mystery continues to surround the death of Bobby Fuller from asphyxiation July 18, 1966. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either I Fought The Law or Love's Made A Fool Of You.  I'll play the winner in the third hour of next week's show.

This week the Top Five Countdown is from 1969, and the Number One song is by Sly and The Family Stone. Everyday People is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Here is this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Have a good week and once again, Happy Valentine's Day.

Bye for now.
Michael