Monday, February 08, 2010

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies


This week on Treasure Island Oldies
February 7th, 2010 to February 13th, 2010


I admit it, I have come down with Olympic Fever. Just a few days away from the Opening Ceremonies and I am now getting really excited. Driving home tonight I passed people standing on the sidewalk along my street waving their bright red Canadian flags. I discovered that the Olympic Torch Relay was going to be passing right in front of my home. What a thrill. You could feel the energy and excitement of the crowd, made up of all ages and cultures, and all proud to have the Olympic Torch pass through our neighbourhood. What a treat! I'm really looking forward to attending a complete dress rehearsal of the Opening Ceremonies and will also be going to one of the medals ceremonies to be followed by a concert by Burton Cummings. There is quite a buzz in and around Vancouver and I love it!

Thanks for the nice comments on the new feature, the Oldies Artists of the Week. It's nice to be able to play these mini artist profiles and then follow it up with one of their hit songs. Glad you enjoyed this week's artist, Neil Diamond and his not often heard hit song Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon.

I have been passing on all your great feedback on our new Chat Room to our Webmaster, Eddy Fisher. What also got him excited was the fact that it can be used by sight readers for the visually impaired. As there are many people who listen to the show that are visually impaired, this is good news that you can use the Chat Room without having to use IRC software. For complete instructions on joining the Nuts in the Hut, Click Chat on the Menu. Please follow the instructions carefully, then have some additional fun during the live show Sunday nights by being part of the Chat Room.

I also appreciated your kind words on our Annual Tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper. I am grateful to my friend Red Robinson from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for permitting me to use his interview clips he did back in1959 with Buddy Holly. And speaking of Red, he has donated to the Hall of Fame digital copies of his entire collection of interviews he has done with some of the biggest names in the music world since he was about 15 years old. As Terry Stewart, the President of the Hall of Fame, said "There are interviews here with artists that nobody else has. Period. End of story. For us to have access to them is just incredible". These precious interviews will now be protected and accessible for generations to come. Fantastic, Red!

Next week on the show is our Annual Valentine's Special with the added bonus that we will be live on February 14th, Valentine's Day itself. If you'd like to hear a song and perhaps have a dedication, let me know. Call or Click: 206-203-4678 is the number to call for our 24/7 Listener Line to record your voicemail message. Alternatively, Click the Requests button on any page of the website to send in your request via email. I look forward to hearing from you.

It's been another busy week on Facebook with more folks becoming friends including Latonia Ballagh, Bruce Barks Barker, and Diane Safir. It's a lot of fun connecting with so many new friends and I invite you to follow me on Facebook too. Click the Facebook logo on the website and let's connect.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog we get you in the mood for Valentine's Day with the great Sam Cooke and You Send Me. It's our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice spotlights one of the greatest and longest lasting vocal groups of all time, The Dells. They've been performing together for over fifty years and are a very fitting group to have on next week's Annual Valentine's Special. We've got two of their many hit songs for your votes: O, O, I Love You and Always Together. Cast your vote by clicking the Voice Your Choice button on the website and making your selection for the song you'd like to hear. We'll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Guylaine Coté in Quebec City, Quebec who celebrates her birthday this week. If you or someone special to you is having a birthday, let me know. Send the details to michael@treasureislandoldies.com. It'll be my pleasure to wish you Happy Birthday and play Birthday by The Beatles.

Remember to send in your photo for the Treasure Island Oldies Listener Gallery. Many folks have, and there's still room for yours. Send your picture, name and city to michael@treasureislandoldies.com. I look forward to receiving  it from you.

Is your high school, college or university Alma Mater planning a Reunion? Let me know and I'll be pleased to let the listeners know about it. Today with people scattered all around the globe, it is sometimes difficult to reach them. I'll do my best to help publicize and promote your Reunion. Send the details to michael@treasureislandoldies.com.

Have a good week.

Bye for now.

Michael