Monday, July 26, 2010

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies


July 25th, 2010 to July 31st, 2010

I was caught off guard somewhat with the immediate response to our Technicolour Special. This only the second time since I began the show back in 1997, if memory serves me well, that I have had this theme of having every song played throughout the four hours contain a colour in the song title. And your comments of how much you were enjoying it and the fun of combining so many great songs together under such a unique theme were most welcome and appreciated. The end result is I made a promise to the Chat Room Nuts in the Hut that this will now become an annual special and I will bring it back again next year. Keep an eye on the Schedules page in the New Year to find out when it will be scheduled in 2011.

I often hear from listeners is various parts of the world, and occasionally I receive an email that I want to share with you. Lynnsey Guerrero in Los Angeles sent a really interesting and heartfelt note. Here's a small portion of the email: "Every week, Michael, it's a four-hour journey that rings so many of my emotional bells; I recall people, places, things and events and I laugh, I get introspective, I get inspired, I get tears in my eyes. These records - these three-minute time machines - and the stories you share with us in every program, well, it's magic." Thank you very much, Lynnsey. I love sharing with you my memories and anecdotes about the songs I play on the show, and it's a real treat to play Lost Treasures for you, songs that wake up your memory banks as Lynnsey commented. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me with your thoughts as well. You can reach me by writing to michael@treasureislandoldies.com.

Next week on the show it's the return of our Annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special. I know how popular this special is for many people and a rare chance to hear some great instrumental hits from various music styles. The thing they have in common apart from being without any lyrics, is that they were all hit records on the charts. You'll remember every song without remembering the words. That's easy, there weren't any. LOL Hum along with me next week!

Remember to send me the details of your upcoming birthday and I will play Birthday by The Beatles for you and wish you Happy Birthday on the show. birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com is the email address.

In keeping with our Technicolour Special, the Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing The Yellow Balloon with Don Grady on drums, and their hit song Yellow Balloon. Enjoy!

We have a great artist for Voice Your Choice next week and perfect timing for our Annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass are in the spotlight with two great instrument hits: The Lonely Bull and A Taste Of Honey. Which song would you like me to play? Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page and make your selection. The winning songs will be played in Hour 3 of next week's show.
Here is a reminder to the Alumni of Petaluma High School Class of 1974. The 36 Year Reunion of this Petaluma, California high school is taking place the weekend of August 20th. For information contact Diane at PetalumaHigh1974@gmail.com. If your alma mater is planning a Reunion, be sure to let me know and I'll pass the information on to you on the show and on the website too. Send the details to reunion@treasureislandoldies.com.

I am so pleased with the number of people who enjoy the Rock & Roll News Podcast every week. You can download it at the iTunes Store by searching for Treasure Island Oldies Rock & Roll News Podcast. There have been over 12,000 downloads of this popular Podcast in the past 30 days! Thank you. You can also enjoy the Top 5 Countdown. While not available for download, you can listen to it at any time on the Listen page.

The Listener Gallery has is ready to hang your photos. Send in your picture, name, city and province or state to michael@treasureislandoldies.com and our webmaster, Eddy Fisher, will post it on the Listener Gallery page.

I hope you have a great week and see you next Sunday for the live show.

Bye for now.

Michael