Monday, June 30, 2014

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of June 29th, 2014


June 29th, 2014 to July 5th, 2014

I love bringing the Music of Canada Special to you every year. There’s a fantastic amount of great records that have been recorded by artists and groups from across Canada that became hits regionally, nationally and around the world. Whenever I travel to another country and hear a song on the radio, in a restaurant or bar, by a Canadian, it makes me feel good. And I’ve very proud of my own contribution to the success of many Canadian artists, whether it’s as a result of a record I started to play during my radio years as a Music Director, or the artists I discovered and signed during the 11 years I was the head of the Artist & Repertoire department at A&M Records. And I enjoy spotlighting a Made In Canada song every week on the show. If you missed hearing the Live show, be sure to listen to the Archive at the Listen page of the website. And to my Canadian friends living in both Canada and around the world, Happy Canada Day. And a Happy 4th of July to all my American friends and listeners.

Our next special will be the Technicolor Special, Live Sunday, July 20th. It promises to be a very colourful show, filled with Green Grass, a Yellow Balloon, a Red Rubber Ball, Blue Velvet, and a lot more. And if there is a song you’d like me to play on the Technicolor Special, be sure to let me know. Call the Listener Line at 206-339-0709 to record your message or Click Requests on any page of the website.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to my nephew Tony Gize in Airdrie, Alberta. Tony is not only a member of my family but also a listener and visitor to the Chat Room. If your birthday is coming up soon, be sure to let me know. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com and I’ll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is featuring an artist I signed to A&M Records and worked with from the beginning right up to and including his most successful album, Reckless. Bryan Adams and Summer of ’69 is our Song of the Week. Happy Canada Day. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice goes back to 1957 for this R&B group as we present Lee Andrews & The Hearts. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Teardrops or Long Lonely Nights. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show in the 3rd hour.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of June 29th.



Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1965.


http://www.tioradio.com/multimedia/top_5.ram


That’s it for this week’s update. Be sure to listen to the Archive of this week’s Music of Canada Special.

Happy Canada Day!

See you next week on The Island.

Bye for now.

Michael