Monday, November 14, 2016

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies Week of November 13th, 2016

Week of November 13th - November 19th, 2016

It's sad enough to learn of the passing of a recording artist, and it's another when two major songwriters and artists pass away. Such was the case with the news of Leonard Cohen and Leon Russell. Leonard Cohen was 82 while Leon Russell was 74. Both were highly sought after songwriters with so many artists recording and interpreting their own version of songs penned by either Leonard or Leon. I was pleased to play Leonard Cohen's original version of Suzanne. And it was so good to also hear many songs by Leon Russell that he wrote, recorded and produced, along with Delta Lady, which was recorded by Joe Cocker. And what a tour de force to hear The Letter, originally a hit by The Box Tops, with a major interpretation arranged for Joe and Leon's Mad Dogs And Englishmen live album, tour and documentary film. I know I keep saying this, but aren't we so fortunate to have permanent souvenirs of their talent by being able to listen to their records.

As we are half way through November and preparing to start playing Christmas holiday music, I wanted to let you know that this year's Annual Christmas Special will take place live Sunday, December 18th. Please mark your calendar for this special. It's my annual Christmas gift to you.

Be sure to check out all the latest new products now available at My Generation Shop. You can be the first to know about new products and specials before you even hear it on the show by signing up for their newsletter. Just go to www.mygenerationshop.com.

I'd like to send out my best wishes for a Happy Birthday to Connie Canode in Madison, Wisconsin, and to Christ Whitmer in Iowa City, Iowa, and as well to my nephew Andrew Gize in Gatineau, Quebec. Happy Birthday to you all! If your birthday's coming up, let me know so that I can help celebrate your special day on the show. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you. All I need is the date of your birthday. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.

Voice Your Choice spotlights one of the most successful artists of all time, Elton John. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Crocodile Rock or Daniel. I'll play the winner next Sunday.

Here's the Rock and Roll News Podcast for this week.

That's about it for now.

See you next Sunday for the next live show.

Bye for now.
Michael