Monday, January 13, 2020

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies Week of January 12th, 2020

January 12th to 18th, 2020
As you know, I love the holidays, with all the lights and music and celebrating with friends and family. Once they are over, it's also good to get back into our regular routines. That's how it feels this week, now that we're back to our regular show and features. The first Spotlight Year is 1963, a year that was starting to transition to a new sound with the start of the British Music Invasion, yet pop and R&B were still very strong. Some great examples are Dion's Donna The Prima Donna, Hello Stranger by Barbara Lewis, The Four Seasons, Ronettes, Crystals, and so many more great artists and records. And in 1963 The Beatles started their steady climb to the top with the album Meet The Beatles in the UK and US, Beatlemania in Canada. I played a driving song sung by George Harrison, Don't Bother Me, this week's BBC - Big Beatles Classic. For a complete list of every song I played on this week's show, go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist. 

As I was doing the show, I received an email from my friend Marc Denis in Montreal with sad news of the passing of legendary Montreal DJ, Ralph Lockwood. "The Bird" was 80 when he passed. I fondly remember hearing Ralph on the morning show at Top 40 station CKGM. He had a huge personality and a great wit which he shared with his morning team, including Mary Anne Carpentier, and the huge number of listeners who tuned into his show every day. R.I.P. Ralphie Bird! 

It's my great pleasure to send out Happy Birthday wishes this week to Judy Covington, in Canton, Ohio, and to Alice Lopez in Peoria, Illinois. If your birthday is coming up soon, I'd like to help you celebrate it with you on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

This week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice features the late great Jack Scott. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Goodbye Baby or My True Love. I'll play the winner on next week's show.

The Top Five Countdown for the year is from 1963. Steve Lawrence has the Number One song this week with Go Away Little Girl, now playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast. 

Take care. See you next week. 

Bye for now.
Michael