Monday, March 16, 2020

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of March 15, 2020

March 15th to 21st, 2020

Hi Sue, Billy, Leroy, Linda, Barbara, Freddie, Jimmy, and all of you. It was my pleasure to salute many of you on the show this week with the annual Name Game Special. It is so interesting just how many songs have been recorded with someone's name in the song title. There are so many songs in fact, that I would never have been able to play every name song. So for a complete list of the name songs I did play on the show this week, go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist.

Before continuing on with this week's Island Update, I just wanted to make a comment on the current world health crisis. In my opinion, this is not about a one country virus, it is a worldwide virus and we are in uncertain times for the next while, however long that will be. I found that I was beginning to become consumed by a perceived need to be watching 24 hour news channels non-stop for the latest information. That can quickly become overwhelming. So for me, I am paying attention to the health care professionals to their concerns and warnings with their frequent scheduled updates. I also need to have a positive distraction. I am very grateful that Treasure Island Oldies is my "positive distraction". We can gather together in the safe virtual environment of the Chat Room and share in the good feelings of the music. I encourage you to join us during the next live show. Click the Chat button for more information on how to log into the chat room and spend some time with folks who love their music, which is also your music. Should the situation require extended self-isolation, please know that the show will continue. Depending on how things develop, I may feel it would be good to bring you this wonderful music more frequently than just once every week. I'll keep you up to date. In the meantime, please remember we are all one, together in this world. We need to take the necessary precautions to help rid us of this virus. Let's share in that optimism together and by staying safe and by keeping in touch with those we care about and love.

You'll note we have posted the above video on being safe at this time. My thanks to my friend and family member, James Fine at Telecine in Montreal for permitting me to share these tips with you.

Happy Birthday wishes go out this week to Joel Drucker in Randolph, New Jersey. Also I'd like to wish Rick Canode in Madison, Wisconsin Happy Birthday. Rick is a good friend, long time listener and he has been contributing the weekly Rare Rock and Roll Relic for 13 years now. All the best, Rick and Joel. If your birthday is coming up soon, I'd like to help you celebrate your birthday with all the show's listeners. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice features The Band. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Up On Cripple Creek or Life Is A Carnival. I'll play the winner on next week's show.

The Top Five Countdown is from 1968. The Number One song is by the late and very great Otis Redding. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Take care, stay safe and stay well!

Bye for now.
Michael