Friday, August 18, 2006

Barbara George

Oh dear, we have lost another one!

Barbara George, who topped the R&B and Pop charts in 1962 with I Know (You Don't Love Me No More), has passed away in Chauvin, Louisiana at age 63. She was born Barbara Ann Smith in Smithridge, Louisiana August 16, 1942.

She was discovered by performer Jessie Hill (Ooh Poo Pah Doo) and brought to the attention of Harold Batiste at AFO Records, distributed by Sue Records. I Know went to the Top of the R&B chart on January 20, 1862, where it remained for four weeks at #1. It peaked at #3 on the Pop chart.

Two subsequent records, You Talk About Love and Send For Me (If You Need Some Lovin), were released as follow-ups to I Know, and while they reached #46 and #96 respectively, they failed to make the impact of her debut hit single. Her final recordings for the Hep' Me label took place in the 1980s.

Please join me this Sunday, August 20, when I will play all three of her hits records in Hour 4 on Treasure Island Oldies.


Barbara George, R.I.P.