Monday, October 12, 2009

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies

Week of October 11th to 17th, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends and a pleasant Columbus Day to our American friends. We had fun recognizing both events on this week's show. As I mentioned in the Chat Room, it never ceases to amaze me that with the huge volume of music released over the years, just how easy it is to select specific songs for the occasion. I was able to play quite a number of songs with a thank you or thankful theme. And I couldn't resist playing a couple of songs dedicated to Christopher Columbus: Must Of Got Lost by J. Geils Band and the Climax Blues Band's Couldn't Get It Right. Even our Novelty Tune of the Week and Rick's Rare Rock And Roll Relic covered both themes perfectly with Please Mr Columbus (Turn The Ship Around) by Lou Monte and Johnny Burnette's I Wanna Thank Your Folks. Special thanks to Rick Canode in Madison, Wisconsin for both tunes; they were great.

I know I must sound like a broken record, but I am still awaiting word from our network insinc as to what is going on with out regular chat room. I know it's been a while since it has worked and I appreciate your patience; I too am anxious to get a final resolve. In the meantime, I continue to appreciate the use of Bruce Toews' Toews On The Waves Chat Room. Cheers, Bruce. And we had quite a crowd in the Chat Room again this week. And it was great to welcome back Becky aka ogopogo in Westbank, British Columbia in the beautiful Okanagan Valley. It's always great to have the Nuts in the Hut get together for a weekly visit and some fun and sharing of memories.

More and more folks have been connecting with me on Facebook this past week including Mark Elliot, an old friend I worked with at CFOM in Quebec City. Mark does a show on CFRB in Toronto. A former A&R assistant of mine when I was Vice-President A&R at A&M Records, Max Hutchinson connected this week; he continues to be involved in the music business in Nashville, Tennessee. Another music industry friend connected this week too. Greg Simpson is a music promoter based in London, Ontario. I also mentioned on the show that I re-connected after many years with Susan Jacks, formerly with The Poppy Family. Susan is still as upbeat and bright as always, despite her recent health crisis. She is in dire need of a new kidney and while waiting she is getting prepared for dialysis. Susan we are definitely thinking of you and wish you all the very best. Don Asbury saw that I got in touch with  former Traffic member Dave Mason and sent a note to me to say how pleased he was to meet another fan. Let's connect on Facebook. Click the Facebook logo on any page of the website.

Speaking of Susan Jacks, over at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog, our Song of the Week is the Gold record and chart topper Which Way You Going Billy by The Poppy Family featuring Susan Jacks. Enjoy this classic!

Really enjoyed this week's Hit From Across The Pond with Fay Greenwood: Hole In My Shoe by Dave Mason. It's really interesting to hear a British smash hit that didn't make the Billboard chart, and Fay always has an interesting story leading up to the song. Don't miss this feature every week in the first hour of the show.


Voice Your Choice features the King of Rock And Roll, Elvis Presley, along with The Jordanaires on two of his great hit songs: She's Not You and Stuck On You. Cast your vote for the song you'd like to hear. Click the Voice Your Choice button on any page of the website and then wait till Hour 3 of next week's show when I'll play the winning song.

Our Listener Galley still has room for more photos of listeners. Send your picture, name, city and country to michael@treasureislandoldies.com I look forward to including you in the Listener Gallery.

If you have a birthday coming up or know of someone special to you with a birthday coming up soon. be sure to let me know. Send the name, birthday, city and country to michael@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you a Happy Birthday and play our official birthday song for you by The Beatles, Birthday in recognition of the special day.
Have a great week.
Bye for now.

Michael