Sunday, January 24, 2010

Robert "Squirrel" Lester Of The Chi Lites Dead At Age 67

Robert "Squirrel" Lester, second tenor and founding member of the Chi-Lites died of cancer Friday (January 22) at the age of 67. The McComb, Mississippi native started out singing with Clarence Johnson and Eugene Record in his adopted home town of Chicago in a group called the Chanteurs in the late '50s-- even releasing a record on the Renee label. They joined up with Marshall Thompson and Creadel Jones in 1963 as the Hi-Lites. The following year they added the "C" at the beginning to avoid a conflict with another group using that name and to celebrate their Windy City heritage. Recordings for Mercury, Blue Rock, Ja-Wes and Dakar Records showed promise but little chart action until a switch to the Brunswick label (with its producer Carl Davis and songwriter Barbara Acklin-- who later married Eugene) in 1969 changed their fortunes. "Give It Away" reached only #88 on the pop charts, but crashed into the R&B top ten, beginning a string of 23 pop and 43 R&B chart records, including "Oh Girl" (#1 on both charts, 1972), "Have You Seen Her" (#3 pop, #1 R&B, 1971), "Give More Power To The People" (#26 pop, #4 R&B, 1971), Stoned Out Of My Mind" (#30 pop, #2 R&B, 1973) and "A Letter To Myself" (#33 pop, #3 R&B, 1973). Robert continued with the group through its many incarnations, even singing lead on "Oh Girl" in concert in later years. Robert and the Chi-Lites were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2005. Said Marshall in a statement, "Today I am mourning the loss of my dear partner and friend, Robert 'Squirrel' Lester. He and I have been performing together for the past 50 years and now I am facing the reality that my friend has left me behind. I pray for peace to his family, friends and to each of you. I also ask that you include me in your prayers as I attempt to accept his passing."