Monday, January 25, 2010

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies


This week on Treasure Island Oldies
January 24th, 2010 to January 30th, 2010

It was very nice to hear from my old friend John Rowlands, who has been a photographer for so many years. I first met John when I was at A&M Records and he would be the main shooter at concerts. After all these years, he has compiled his amazing photos into a brand new book called Flashback. Here is the link to Flashback. I'm sure you'll be impressed with his work. Congratulations, John!

I had a sad request to play The Living Years by Mike & The Mechanics for the family and friends of Carmen Dennis in Chicago, Illinois. Carmen is currently on life support and not expected to live. My thoughts go out to her family and wonderful friends.

Just a reminder regarding the Chat Room. You must use chat software such as mIRC, as the Java Chat applet is not working. For complete details click Chat on the Menu. I look forward to welcoming you as one of the Nuts in the Hut. Our Webmaster, Eddy Fisher is working on a new chat applet and once he is finished testing, he'll let me know if it is good enough for you to use.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Fred Waterer in St. Catharines, Ontario. It was fun to play our official birthday song for him as well as a request for Bobby Darin. I played Dream Lover and said it was his theme song! LOL If you or someone special to you is having a birthday, let me know. Send the details to michael@treasureislandoldies.com. It'll be my pleasure to wish you Happy Birthday and play Birthday by The Beatles.

My good friend Andy Kim has a brand new song about to be released, and I was so pleased to be sent an advance release copy of Happen Again. Based on the feedback I received when I played it on this week's show, I intend to play it again next week. I know you'll be impressed by it and you'll also relate to the lyrics: Do you feel connected To sentimental times Before the wall was erected & dreams were in their prime Hands were held in secret Everything was new & we both owned the ticket To a different point of view Some days I'm running just as fast as I can & it ain't working Something got lost on the way to the promise land  I wanna make it happen again I wanna make it happen again This song could very well become an anthem for our generation. Well done, Andy!

Andy also has another song called Love Is and all proceeds from YouTube royalties are being donated to the Red Cross. While I posted it last week, I am re-posting it as our Song of the Week at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Johnny Nash was played on Compare The Hits on this week's show, along with Sam Cooke. Johnny Nash is back next week on Voice Your Choice with two of his other hits: Hold Me Tight and I Can See Clearly Now. Which song would you like to hear? Cast your vote. Click the Voice Your Choice button on any page of the website and select the song you prefer. The winner will be played in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

Mike and Maureen in Berkley, California recently sent in their photo for the Treasure Island Oldies Listener Gallery. Remember to send in your photo also. Many folks have, and there's still room for yours. Send your picture, name and city to michael@treasureislandoldies.com. I look forward to receiving  it from you.

Is your high school, college or university Alma Mater planning a Reunion? Let me know and I'll be pleased to let the listeners know about it. Today with people scattered all around the globe, it is sometimes difficult to reach them. I'll do my best to help publicize and promote your Reunion. Send the details to michael@treasureislandoldies.com.

Have a good week.

Bye for now.

Michael