Monday, December 20, 2010

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies


December 19th, 2010 to January 1, 2011

Merry Christmas! And what a Christmas we've had here on the Island, lots of great Christmas songs over the past few weeks culminating in my favourite show of the entire year. And I was so pleased to present the 14th Annual Christmas Special, with some of the greatest Christmas records of all time from the 1940s through to the 1970s with even a recent Christmas song added to the show for the first time. I just love that song by Serena Ryder and I had to play Calling To Say. What a great voice, great melody and excellent production. It will be played again next year during the Christmas Season and probably for many years to come. It's a classic in the making. For a complete list of every song played on the show, click the Listen page and then Playlist. Not to give everything away in case you were not able to hear the live show, I promised to play Mahalia Jackson's stunning and very stirring version of Silent Night. It is the song I just have to end the Christmas Special with every year. You can enjoy our 14th Annual Christmas Special at any time for the next three weeks in the Archive Section of the Listen page.

I'd like to say thanks to the listeners who sent in their Christmas Greetings, either via email or the Listener Line. By the way, there is a NEW NUMBER for the Listener Line. It is now 206-339-0709. Our previous number had technical problems and would no longer work. The new one is now ready for you New Years Greetings. Give a call and wish all the Treasure Island Oldies listeners around the world a very Happy New Year. I'll play back your call on the New Year Dance Party, live Sunday, January 2, 2011.

I am pleased that you are enjoying the Music of Christmas at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog. There are 14 songs in total and they are being posted to the Blog every day up to and including Christmas Day.

Please note: There will be no show Sunday, December 26th. We'll be back with the first show of 2011 on Sunday, January 2nd with our New Year Dance Party.

As we approach the end of another year, it is a good time for reflection and to say thank you for another great year. I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone at our network, Mediaontap; and to Insinc and their parent company, NeuLion, for providing the broadcast studio facilities.

2010 has been another very exciting year for Treasure Island Oldies. We celebrated our 13th Anniversary and also welcomed listeners from all over the world to the Treasure Island Oldies Broadcast Partners Network who hear us on their local FM, AM and Online radio stations in Canada, United States, Sweden, England, Scotland, and Singapore.

I would also like to extend my very special thanks to Eddy Fisher, my partner and webmaster. Without Eddy's untiring work, commitment, enthusiasm, creativity, and incredible support, there'd be no weekly updates to the website; no special decorations for Halloween and Christmas; nor would there be any archived shows, the weekly Top 5 Countdown, not to mention the work he does every week in preparing the Rock And Roll News Podcasts, of which I am proud to say there are well over 12,000 downloads every month. Thank you so very much, Eddy!

A big tip of the hat to the Nuts in the Hut, the Chat Room regulars. I thoroughly enjoy your company every week.

I'd also like to recognize our weekly feature contributors to the show:

Tom Locke, who has researched and written the Moment In Time for over ten years now.

Rick Canode for Rick's Rare Rock And Roll Relic.

Fay Greenwood for Hits From Across The Pond and Matt Meaney for the great production of this feature every week.

And Paul Carter Jr. for the new weekly feature Music Link.

These features help make the show extra special every week.

And last but definitely not least, to you - my listener, my friend. Without you there'd be no Treasure Island Oldies. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me keep you company week after week.

I wish you and your family the very best this Holiday Season. Please don't drink and drive!

I sure look forward to another year of Treasure Island Oldies with you and to celebrating our 14th Anniversary with you in May, 2011.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Michael