Monday, April 22, 2013

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of April 21st, 2013

April 21st, 2013 to April 27th, 2013

I'd say our annual Name Game Special was a great success, judging from both the number of requests I received and the comments from your emails, facebook comments and what was said in the Chat Room. It's interesting to note how many songs have the name of a person in the title; and we sure played a lot of them on this week's show. If you missed the live show, you'll want to Listen to the Archive at the Listen page. Our next special will be the 16th Anniversary of Treasure Island Oldies on May5th for the live show beginning at 6 pm Pacific. I sure hope you'll join me for that special occasion. I find it hard to believe that I've been bringing Treasure Island Oldies to you every week since 1997!!!

As I told you on the show this week, I attended a Celebration of Life for my good friend Jeremy Hepner, who passed away at the young age of 49. He was many things to many people, including beloved and highly respected teacher, father, brother to my other good friend Darcy, and an excellent jazz guitarist. Jeremy, Darcy and I used our close friendship to start a small boutique jazz label together, Water Street Music, and we released albums by both Jeremy and Darcy. I played Elwood, a great track from his 11West84 album, on the show in the first hour. I hope you'll Listen to the Archive to hear his playing. Jeremy you will be missed!

Just found out listener Marjorie Corbo in Benmidji, Minnesota, is having a birthday this week. Unfortunately I did not know in time to wish Marjorie Happy Birthday on the show. I'll make up for it on next week's show. And If you are about to celebrate your birthday, be sure to let me know so I can wish you Happy Birthday on the show and I'll play Birthday by The Beatles for you! Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing a song in keeping with this week's Name Game Special. here are The Beatles with Roll Over Beethoven their great cover of the Chuck Berry classic. It's our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice presents Looking Glass with their only two songs that reached the Hot 100 chart, and they're both great. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne or Brandy (You're A Fine Girl). I'll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

Here's the Rock And Roll News for the week of April 21st.


It's also on YouTube     
Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1961




See you next week on Treasure Island Oldies.

 Bye for now.

 Michael