Monday, May 27, 2013

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies - Week of May 26, 2013


May 26th, 2013 to June 1st, 2013

It's hard for me to believe that it was 44 years ago this week that I, as a then 16 year old kid, interviewed John Lennon during his Bed-In For Peace while he and Yoko Ono were staying at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. I had a high school radio station, FMHC Radio, which stood for Father McDonald Holy Cross High School, and we were fortunate enough to have guest visits from some local DJs from the Top 40 station, CFOX. One of the guests was Roger Scott, who answered the phone in John Lennon's room when I finally got through after a few days of always getting a busy signal. I reminded him that he had been a recent guest at our high school radio station and I was hoping to speak with John to ask him a few questions. Although quite busy with the press and film crews, John took the time to speak with me. And what resulted is my coveted interview with John Lennon. My thanks to Fred Waterer in Ste. Catharines, Ontario for giving me the inspiration to play the interview due to his Facebook post. Cheers, Fred. I was pleased to play back that interview on this week's show to mark the 44th Anniversary of their Bed-In For Peace. If you missed it, a Podcast has been made and is posted at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog page. Check it out and share my memories of being 16 and talking to John Lennon!

It was good to hear some great songs by The Doors in tribute to Ray Manzarek, Co-Founder of the group, who passed away May 21st at age 74. He had a long fought battle with cancer and died at a clinic in Germany. As a tribute to his passing, the Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing The Doors in a sizzling live performance of Touch Me, on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour TV show. It's Our Song Of The Week.

Hard to believe that next week it will be June already. Well with June, come several annual specials on the show.: On June 16th it's our Annual Father's Day Special, our Summer Beach Party, June 23rd and then our Annual Made In Canada Special on June 30th. Mark these dates on your calendar, you'll want to catch every one of these specials.

Happy Birthday wishes are extended this week to Bruce Toews in Winnipeg, Manitoba. And if you are about to celebrate your birthday, be sure to let me know so I can wish you Happy Birthday on the show and I'll play Birthday by The Beatles for you! Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.

Voice Your Choice presents Connie Francis, the Number One Female Pop Vocalist from the late 1950s through to the mid-1960s. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Breakin' In A Brand New Heart or Among My Souvenirs, both Top Ten smashes. I'll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

Here's the Rock And Roll News for the week of May 26th

 It's also on YouTube


Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1964



See you next week.

Bye for now.


Michael