Monday, February 01, 2016

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of January 31st, 2016

January 31st to February 6th, 2016

It's seemingly becoming a weekly event since the beginning of the year to pay tribute to a recording star who has died. Again this week, I paid tribute to Paul Kantner, the founding member of Jefferson Airplane. He passed away at age 74 from some very serious health issues including multiple organ failure and septic shock. I sure hope this trend slows down!

I hope you also enjoyed the annual tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper during the 4th hour of this week's show with The Day The Music Died. It's interesting to speculate how all three would have progressed in their careers. I would hazard a guess that Buddy Holly would have continued to write great song after great song. What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Send a note to me at michael@treasureislandoldies.com.

It's not all that often but this year Valentine's Day will happen on the same day as the live show. Join me February 14th for oure Annual Valentine's Day Special. Four hours of the best songs about love!

If your birthday is coming up, please be sure to let me know so that I can celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the first Number One song by The Beatles in the USA. The song is I Want To Hold Your Hand and it's our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice spotlights Tommy James and the Shondells. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Draggin' The Line or I Think We're Alone Now. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show.

Here’s this week’s Rock and Roll News Podcast

Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1964

Take care and have a good week.

Bye for now.

Michael