Monday, February 29, 2016

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of February 29th, 2016

February 29th to March 6th, 2016

It sure hits home when my own listeners are starting to pass away. Last week it was Island Regular, Rich Howe in Pittsburgh, and now it's another long time listener and regular in the Chat Room. George Mooth died in Edwardsburg, Michigan. I am gratified with the number of comments that were made after I did a post to my Facebook page. Linda in California knew that one of his favourite songs was Lost In The '50s Tonight by Ronnie Milsap and she asked me to play it in memory of George. I also went into my request audio recordings and found a phone call from George when he called to wish me and the show a happy 10th annniversary, and he also requested his all-time favourite, Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum. I was so pleased to play it in his memory. Thanks for the fun conversations, George!

We're just a couple of weeks away from the next special, The Name Game, Live Sunday, March 13th. Every song I play during the show will have the name of a person in the song title, like Sheila, Tommy, Bad Bad Leroy Brown, and so many more. You'll be surprised with just how many songs have the name of a girl or a guy in the title. Be sure to listen; it's always a fun special.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Linda Russell Johnson in West Plains, Missouri. If your birthday is coming up, please be sure to let me know so that I can celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the Number One song from this week's Top 5 Countdown from 1970. Simon and Garfunkel performed at the 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert which took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City and it's our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice spotlights the tremendously talented Darlene Love. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either A Fine Fine Boy or Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show.

Here’s this week’s Rock and Roll News Podcast

Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1970

Take care and have a good week.

Bye for now.
Michael