Monday, May 30, 2016

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of May 29th, 2016

May 29th to June 4th, 2016

For my American friends and listeners, I hope you enjoyed a long Memorial Day weekend. And thanks for spending some of your time listening to the show. Much appreciated. As you know, I always enjoy hearing from you. I received a nice note from Wendy McDougall in Australia in response to this week's Rock and Roll News. I mentioned that Ringo Starr missed some of The Beatles concert tour of Australia due to tonsillitis. She said that it brought back lots of memories for her as she attended the Adelaide concert where Jimmy Nicol sat in for Ringo. She was heartbroken, because Ringo was her favourite Beatle. But she did get to witness Jimmy Nicol in his short time in the spotlight. Thanks, Wendy. If you'd like to share a memory with me, please get in touch with be by sending your note to michael@treasureislandoldies.com.

Speaking of the Rock & Roll News, when you listen back to the Podcast you'll note I made a blatant error with the date of the first item. I said it was in 1966 that Buddy Holly saw the John Wayne movie, The Searchers", when if fact, it was 1956! My thinks to the Nuts in the Hut, the Chat Room regulars who were quick to point out the error.

If you'd like to send in a request, you can record your voicemail request and message by calling the Listener Line. Call 641-715-3900 and when connected be sure to enter the extension 716181 followed by the # (pound) symbol. I look forward to hearing from you as well and to playing your request.

My Generation Posters and More have a great 50% Off Sale on the featured poster, "Motown". It's got great images of many Motown stars.  Please check out their website for more information. And be sure to sign up for their weekly newsletter. You'll be among the first to know about the upcoming weekly specials. And be sure to also let them know you heard their commercial on Treasure Island Oldies.

My best wishes for a Happy Birthday go out to Daryl Darnell in Jacksonville, Illinois and to Bruce Toews in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If your birthday is coming up soon, please be sure to let me know so that I can celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll wish you Happy Birthday during the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Be sure to join us for our next special, which will air live Sunday, June 19th. It's our Annual Father's Day Special. Every song throughout the four hours will be dedicated to Dad. Always a special occasion to honour our dads. Hope you'll listen from 6 to 10 PM Pacific.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the Number One song on this week's Top 5 Countdown from 1959. It's Johnny Horton and The Battle Of New Orleans. It's our Number One Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice presents The Platters, one of the most popular vocal groups of all '50s. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either I'm Sorry or Twilight Time. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show.

Here’s this week’s Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1959.

Take care. See you next week on The Island.

Bye for now.
Michael