Monday, December 23, 2019

Final Islandays Update for 2019

December 22nd, 2019 to January 4th, 2020
I was very pleased to present my Christmas Gift to you, the 23rd Annual Christmas Special. It's the show that I love the most throughout the year. I love reminiscing with you about my childhood memories and the impact Christmas music has had on me throughout my life. This year after I played Zat You Santa Claus by Louis Armstrong, I enjoyed telling you about how he got the nickname Satchmo. It's also a treat to relate the True Story of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. I also really enjoy hearing Christmas and Holiday greetings from many stars. Perhaps my favourite hour is the 4th when the music takes a bit more of a serious traditional tone. And I always look forward to closing off the Christmas Special with what may be the most beautiful version of Silent Night ever recorded. Listening to Mahalia Jackson would melt even the coldest heart.

I am taking my usual one week vacation and will return January 5th with the first show of the year, the New Year's Dance Party. We'll start off 2020 in style!

If your birthday is coming up soon, I'd like to help you celebrate it on the New Year Dance Party, the first show for 2020 that will air January 5th. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Voice Your Choice will return with the first show of 2020 with Stealers Wheel. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Stuck In The Middle With you or Star.

The final Top Five Countdown for the year is from 1968. The Number One song this week is a real Motown Classic. While it was the first version recorded, it was the second release of  I Heard It Through The Grapevine, with the first by Gladys Knight And The Pips. This week's Number One is by Marvin Gaye. It's playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast for the week of December 15th. It's the final podcast for the year. The next Rock and Roll News will be on the January 5, 2020 show.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 

Happy Islandays! 

Bye for now.
Michael