Monday, December 02, 2019

Rare Earth Voice Your Choice Treasure Island Oldies

Rare Earth were a hot rock group from Detroit, and one of the first successful white acts signed to Motown. In fact, Motown created a whole new label which they called Rare Earth Records. The original line-up consisted of Pete Rivera (lead vocals and drums), Rod Richards (guitar), Kenny James (keyboards), Gil Bridges (sax), Ed Guzman (percussion), and John Persh (bass).

Their first two charted hits, Get Ready and (I Know) I'm Losing You, were cover versions of classic Motown hits originally recorded by The Temptations; and both were Top Ten hits.

Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, the last Voice Your Choice for 2019 spotlights Rare Earth. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either (I Know) I'm Losing You or Get Ready. I'll play the winner on next week's show.