Monday, November 12, 2018

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies Week of November 11 2018

November 11th to November 17th, 2018

It sure was a busy week here on the Island. Our Spotlight Year this week was 1969, including the Top Five Countdown. It was also a historic week for the world. November 11th marked the 100th Anniversary of Armistice, the agreement to end World War I, known as the Great War. In addition to this important occasion, it was also Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the United States. Accordingly, I devoted the second half of the second hour of this week's show to a musical tribute. I began with a a poignant song, Soldier by Shawn Hlookoff. You may be more familiar with this successful artist, as today he goes by the name Shawn Hook. He has previously been a guest on my show and even performed live in studio. Soldier is a very moving song. I suggest you watch the video. This is not about being for or against any war. It is a tribute to those who serve. For the entire list of songs I played during this tribute, as well as all of the music I played throughout the rest of the show, go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist.

Happy Birthday wishes go out this week to Connie Canode in Madison, Wisconsin;l and also to Chris Witmer in Iowa City, Iowa. Both Connie and Chris are long time listeners. If your birthday is coming up soon, please be sure to let me know in advance so that I can wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the birthday info to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com 

I am very much looking forward to sharing my annual Christmas Special with you. This year it will be very close to Christmas Day. Mark your calendar for Sunday, December 23rd. The festivities will begin at 6 pm Pacific with the greatest Christmas music! Ho Ho Ho!

This week's Top Five Countdown is from our Spotlight Year, 1969. At the top of the chart is the The Fifth Dimension. Wedding Bell Blues is now playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Next week the Voice Your Choice spotlight is on The Dells, an R&B Soul group from Chicago whose music I absolutely love. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Always Together or Stay In My Corner.  I'll play the winning song on next week's show.

Listen to this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

I hope you have a great week. I look forward to your company on next week's show. 

Bye for now.
Michael