Monday, July 01, 2019

Canada Day Celebrations on Treasure Island Oldies

June 30th to July 6th, 2019
Happy Canada Day! Thanks for joining me for my annual Music of Canada Special. Having spent most of my career in radio as Dj and Music Director, and then as Vice-President of A&R (Artist & Repertoire) with A&M Records, I have been a staunch supporter of music written, performed and produced by Canadians. This special is my opportunity to showcase some of the great music that achieved regional, national and international success. It was also great to share with you some of the perhaps surprising inventions made by Canadians. Basketball, hockey, AM Radio (Amplitude Modulation), the cardiac pacemaker, peanut butter, and even the egg carton are among the many inventions the world has benefited from using or playing. And what a treat it was for me to share some of the music by several of the artists I signed to A&M Records, including Bryan Adams, The Payola$, Eddie Schwartz and others. Time did not permit me to showcase every artist I signed and nurtured. If you missed any or all of the show, or if you would like to listen to the Music of Canada special again, just go to the Broadcast Partners Network page for the days and times when our Affiliate Stations will be playing this week's show. There's so much talent in Canada, and I am proud to share their music with you.
The next special is about a month away. It's the annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders special, Live, Sunday August 4. There was a time when instrumental records became hits and not unusual to hear many on the radio. This special highlights some of the best Instrumental Gems over the four hour show. Be sure to listen to what many listeners have told me is their favourite show of the year.

If your birthday is coming up soon, I'd like to help you celebrate it on the show. Send the month and date to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Voice Your Choice spotlights Steve Lawrence. He recorded and performed with his wife, Eydie Gorme, on many records. However we are featuring his solo work. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Footsteps or Pretty Blue Eyes. I'll play the winner during next week's show.

This week the Top Five Countdown is from 1967. The Number One song is by The Association. Windy is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

In closing, I'd like to wish my American friends and listeners a Happy Independence Day.

Bye for now.
Michael