Monday, July 29, 2019

This Week On The Island

July 28th to August 4th, 2019

Some of my favourite songs seemed to have been released in 1966. I was turning 14 that year and the Summer of '66 for me was the best year for great music. And this week on Treasure Island Oldies, the Spotlight Year is 1966. Man oh man, so many great records! Cool Jerk, Knock On Wood, Stop Stop Stop, I Fought The Law, Eleanor Rigby, Sunny, Summer In The City...and the hits just kept on coming! I was also pleased to play as many requests as possible, including When A Man Loves A Woman, Along Comes Mary and I'm Your Puppet. For the complete list of songs I played, in order,  throughout the four hours, go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist.

Be sure to listen in to next week's show. It's the highly popular and annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special. For so many years, it was quite ordinary to hear instrumental hits on the radio. Songs like Theme from A Summer Place, Walk Don't Run, Love Is Blue are just a few examples of songs you'd hear. It's rare to hear any instrumental hits these days. Once a year I assemble a great collection of instrumental hits from the '50s, '60s, and '70s. And I'll play some of the best for you on the Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special LIVE next Sunday beginning at 6 pm Pacific, 9 pm Eastern. Be sure to listen to what many listeners have told me throughout the years is their favourite show of the year.

Is your birthday coming up soon? If it is, I'd like to help you celebrate it on the show. Send the month and date to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Voice Your Choice spotlights Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass, one of the most successful instrumental artists ever. I had the great pleasure of knowing Herb when I worked for A&M Records, the highly successful recorded label he started with Jerry Moss.  Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either The Lonely Bull or A Taste Of Honey. I'll play the winner during next week's Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonder Special.

This week the Top Five Countdown is from 1966. The Number One song is by The Troggs, their debut single in fact.  Wild Thing is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Click here for this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

See you next week on The Island for the Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special!

Bye for now.
Michael