Monday, September 10, 2018

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies Week of September 9th 2018

September 9th to September 15th, 2018
It was a real pleasure spending four hours with you again this week on the Island. It was fun to go way back to 1957 for this week's Spotlight Year. I was mentioning in the chat room how the Spotlight Year adds a cool tone to the entire playlist. I was also pleased to play some real Lost Treasures from 1957 including What Can I Do by Donnie Elbert, his successful debut single. You may recall he did a cover version of the Supremes hit Where Did You Love Go in 1972. I also played another rare one, Mister Fire Eyes, by Bonnie Guitar. For a complete rundown of all the songs I played on this week's show, just go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist section.

I heard from Robert Lerbro in Sweden, who enjoys listening to the show on Radio 88 in Gothenberg.  He said he heard an instrumental song on the August 126th show that featured a Hammond organ. I wrote back telling him that it was Last Night by The Mar-Keys. He replied how pleased he was as he would like to play it on his own Hammond organ and he sent this photo. Great hearing from you Robert!


I'm looking forward to celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving with you on the show, live Sunday, October 7th. I'll play some appropriate songs for the occasion, including Thank You For Being My Friend by Andrew Gold and Sam & Dave's I Thank You, and many others.

Happy Birthday wishes go out this week to Scott Harmon in Phoenix City, Alabama, and to my long time friend Jools Clarke in Los Angeles, California. Jools and I worked together at A&M Records and have remained good friends ever since. Is your birthday is approaching? If so, please let me know so that I can help you celebrate your special day with the Island listeners around the world. Send the date info to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Top Five Countdown this week is from our Spotlight Year 1957. And sitting at the top of the charts is Paul Anka. Diana is now playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Next week the Voice Your Choice spotlight is on the great R&B artist, Chuck Willis. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either What Am I Living For or C.C. Rider. I'll play the winner next week's show.

Listen to this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Thanks again for listening to this week's show and I look forward to your company again next week.

Bye for now.
Michael