Monday, September 17, 2018

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies Week of September 16 2018




September 16th to September 22nd, 2018
Well that was an odd coincidence! Just as I started this week's show, I got a tickle in my throat that would not go away. So it was me and my "pet frog" for the entire four hours. Thanks for putting up with my distorted voice. LOL Nonetheless, I persevered and played some great songs from this week's Spotlight Year, 1962. It was cool listening to Lie To Me by Brook Benton, a big hit for him but one you rarely ever hear at all. I had not heard Break It To Me Gently by Brenda Lee and it was so good to hear Miss Dynamite and her amazing voice. I heard from listener Linda Gehres who asked about the first song I played during the Rock & Roll Reunion. It was Friday Night On A Dollar Bill by Huelyn Duvall. This Rockabilly singer from Texas sure sounded like he was emulating Elvis Presley. Thanks for the great note, Linda. Also a big hello to Tammy Maynard who commented on me playing Jim Croce and her memory of hearing the sad news of his tragic airplane crash. I sure enjoy hearing from you Tammy and all the other listeners who keep in touch via email. My email if you'd like to send a note to me is michael@treasureislandoldies.com. And for a complete list of all the songs I played during this week's show, go to the Listen page and scroll down to the Playlist.

If you are a Paul McCartney or Beatles fan, be sure to check out Paul's brand new album, Egypt Station. This "heritage" artist has released his best album in years, in my opinion. It was a lot of fun for me to give you a preview again this week by playing Fuh You. I ordered and was glad to get my deluxe two LP vinyl set in a cool tri-fold album cover. And it sure sounds great on vinyl.

In Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving at the actual end of the summer harvest in early October. I look forward to celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving with you on the show Sunday, October 9th. Please join me.

Is your birthday coming up soon? If so, please let me know so that I can help you celebrate your special day with the Island listeners around the world. Send the date info to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Top Five Countdown this week is from our Spotlight Year 1962. And sitting at the top of the charts is the first big hit for the Four Seasons. Sherry is now playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Next week the Voice Your Choice spotlight is on another great great R&B artist. This time it's Clarence Carter. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Slip Away or Snatching It Back. I'll play the winner next week's show.

Listen to this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Thanks again for listening to this week's show and I look forward to your company again next week. I hope to not have the frog in my throat by next week. LOL

Bye for now.
Michael