Monday, September 24, 2018

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies Week of September 23rd 2018

September 23rd to September 29th, 2018
I sure had a good time with you again this week on the Island. I was so glad that the "frog" in my throat during the entire show last week was nowhere in sight this week. Maybe it helped that I called wildlife control and they came and took the "frog" away to a new home. LOL I'd also like to thank you for your kind emails hoping I get better soon. They worked! Also big thanks to Linda Gehres who told me the story of her going to see The Beatles movie Help! with her aunt in San Francisco (Help! was part of the Top Five Countdown from 1965, this week's Spotlight Year). What an adventure she had. Linda also mentioned how much she liked Rick's Rare Rock & Roll Relic, I'm Nobody's Baby Now by Reparata & The Delrons. In her email to me she also included interesting information about the group and the variations in the lineup through the years; to the point that the original Reparata was not even in the group anymore and a different lead singer was called Reparata. Thanks for this, Linda. I am sure Rick Canode in Madison, Wisconsin will appreciate the additional info on his Relic this week. I look forward to hearing from you too. michael@treasureislandoldies.com is how to reach me.

This week's BBC - Big Beatles Classic - was Blackbird from the White Album with Paul McCartney sounding great on the lead vocal. The feel of Blackbird made me think of a song on his new LP, Egypt Station, called Happy With You. I'm glad I decided to play it for you and it sounded great. I read a review of this album which commented that it was his best album since Band On The Run. In my opinion, it is his best and most consistent album in many years. I sure am enjoying listening to it. With some riffs and production and arrangement approaches scattered throughout the album, it gives me the feel of listening to a Beatles record I've never heard before.

We're just a couple of weeks away from celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving on Treasure Island Oldies. I invite you to join me Sunday, October 7th for the live show and throughout the week on our affiliate radio stations. Check out the Broadcast Partners Network page for the days and times to hear this week's show.

Happy Birthday and best wishes go out to long time listener and Chat Room regular, Ed Sanderson in Toronto, Ontario. And if your birthday is coming up soon, please let me know. Send the date info to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Top Five Countdown this week is from our Spotlight Year 1965. And sitting at the top of the charts was the '60s protest song by Barry McGuire, formerly with the New Christy Minstrels. Eve Of Destruction is now playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Speaking of having a frog in my throat, next week the Voice Your Choice spotlight is on another great great R&B artist, Clarence "Frogman" Henry. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either (I Don't Know Why) But I Do or You Always Hurt The One You Love. I'll play the winner next week's show.

Listen to this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Have a great week and I look forward to sharing another show with you next week.
Bye for now.
Michael